How you show up now will show up in your future
Visualize your highest self. Then start showing up as that person.
Have you ever done this?
Visualization is a great practice.
Think of it as the training wheels for the life you want. If that sounds too boring, try it as your alter ego.
Sounds and even feels strange at first, but here’s what will start to happen:
- You will begin to think like your “future self” would by making decisions that will move you toward that envisioned goal.
- You’ll start acting like your “future self” by the way you converse with people, where you influence and are influenced.
- You will find yourself doing the things your “future self” would do in order to continue to show up as that person you see.
By visualizing who you want to be on a regular basis, it actually helps you BECOME the person you envision.
We spend too much time focusing on what we are not, what we lack, what “needs to happen first” instead of WHO we need to be in order to have the life we want.
Yet, while we are busy looking out the window on the struggle bus driven by our friend, Excuse, another season of actual life has passed us by. Don’t know about you, but I’m tired of being on this bus! If you are currently on the struggle bus, tell the driver (Excuse) to stop and let you off because you’ve got a new ride and you’re the driver!
Why not play this out using your “future ride” as the practice test?
What do you SEE yourself driving in 5 years? (I know exactly what I plan on driving in 5 years. Got a picture of her and everything.)
Sounds silly, but its scientifically proven that VISUALIZATION works. (take a few minutes to watch Mel Robbin’s explanation of this practice)
Your brain doesn’t know the difference between what’s real and what’s not; it waits for YOU to tell it. Through emotion.
This is why it’s so important to not just write your goals, but visualize them, take time to FEEL the emotion attached to that vision.
Know why? Because your brain will start to protect what is familiar. Hmmm…is this why we are so stuck in our comfort zones?
Begin making your dreams FAMILIAR so that your brain will begin recognizing what “belongs”. You’ll start to “see” things differently because your brain will nudge you…“hey, isn’t this what we are working towards, looking for, who could help us…”
I challenge you to SHOW UP as your future self today, this week, this month and see what happens.
I hear you. “What does that look like Deana?”
- It means when I look in the mirror my inner dialogue says, “I am so fit and healthy” and my day reflects what a fit and healthy person eats and refuses to eat/drink. (Not my current state by any means, but COULD be)
- It means when I answer the question, “what do you do?” I answer that I instigate women to live their best lives through encouragement and practical strategies that make sense for their crazy, busy lives. (Not what I say now, but should be…because i BELIEVE it)
- It means when I’m driving my *2012 Yukon and pass my dream car, I confidently smile and say to myself…”Hello there!”
*this was my dream car that I had visualized myself having after I made a huge jump in title and salary in my then direct sales business – I finally got my 2012 Yukon in 2016. Womp, womp, womp – yep, just ’cause you practice visualization doesn’t mean it happens right away. However, when your vision does happen – you recognize immediately that its YOURS. When I was in the market for a new car I saw her near the service department, no sticker or anything. When I called to inquire, they told me it JUST came in and hadn’t even been detailed or put it out yet. Someone must have known not to bother, because it was for ME!
- It means when I’m with my family, I’m WITH my family. Not thinking about work, feeling guilty about deadlines.. and when I’m in work mode, I’m not feeling guilty that I’m not with my family. Because…I planned and scheduled both and 100% present! (I’m getting better, but certainly needs work)
Whew! This may have been an overly long example of how you show up now will show up in your future, but I know that it works. Plus, I’m really tired of allowing fear and excuses rule me. You?
Working on showing up as who I need to be for the future I want to see right there with ya,
Let’s SEE your dream in the comments.
What’s your VISION of your best life and how are you going to start showing up as that person?
Leave a Comment